Craft would be so much better if only…

Lose the infinite scroll and show me number of items

I'm not a fan of infinite scrolling. I don't think it adds anything to the Craft CP other than more JS. I would at least like the option to select "standard" pagination in the control panel. When I'm looking at members, Assets sources, or channel entries, there are no counts anywhere. I have no idea if our current site has 500 or 5000 members, I have no idea if there are 50 or 500 blog posts, and I have no idea how many images are in Assets source X - and neither does the client. Without pagination, we can't even guess at these numbers. I'm just scrolling, scrolling, and eventually give up.

This would apply to (at least): Asset Sources, Users, and channel entries - anything I would normally have to scroll through infinitely.

80 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ryan MasugaRyan Masuga shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ryan MasugaRyan Masuga commented  · 

We ended up installing Zenbu. In addition to giving us many more column options for the client, it shows pagination and counts. As a (temp?) solution, this might work for you as well.

Here's a pic in action: http://cloud.gomasuga.com/0X2r2z0o2F3c Paginated results, and now we're certain that we have 72 entries in this channel.

• Matt WilcoxMatt Wilcox commented  · 

The infinite scroll breaks the search ability in all those cases too. If the items aren't already loaded, the search filter doesn't work to find them.

• Ryan MasugaRyan Masuga commented  · 

Mats - Thanks for the comment. There are actually two issues here:

1) There are no element indexes. This is a content management system, and yet you can't get a feel for how much content you have, particularly on a build with lots of entries. Imagine having a membership-heavy site, with 50-100 signups a day. As it stands, unless you write a custom widget or something, you would have a hard time knowing how many members you have.

2) The infinite scroll doesn't help with counts. At least with traditional pagination, if I knew it was showing 100 per page, and there were 3 pages, we could guess that there are 201-300 entries/members/etc, and I could easily page through them, rather than scrolling for who knows how long.

One other issue with infinite scroll. You do a search and whittle the list down to 10 entries (out of how many? Who knows!) and you need to look at each. If you click one and go back, you have to search all over again to get the same 10 to come up again. Otherwise you have to open each of the results in tabs.

• Mats Mikkel RummelhoffMats Mikkel Rummelhoff commented  · 

The crucial part of this FR is adding more info/stats to element indexes (i.e. displaying the total number of entries). More filtering options (e.g. entry type, author) would also be very welcome (and there should probably be a `defineAdditionalFilteringOptions` hook for plugins...)

As for navigation, a more traditional, paginated view would definitely be way more usable for indexes with a lot of content. If pagination could be achieved as an additional view (i.e. keeping the infinite scroll around), I'd be all for it. If not, I'd opt for pagination across the board (naturally with a "Number of items per page" option).

• VisilunaVisiluna commented  · 

I, too, would like this, but as a selectable option.

• Anonymous commented  · 

If there would be pagination I would prefer to be able to set the number of items per page.

• Ben ParizekBen Parizek commented  · 

The infinite scrolling also feels a bit funny for larger amounts of hierarchical content like Structures.

Feedback and Knowledge Base